A metaphors is a comparison between people, places, objects or actions. We love when authors use this figure of speech because it allows us to better visualize what is going on in the story. It helps us understand the intensity of someone’s thoughts and connect to the speaker’s emotions.
Check out this list of the Top 10 Metaphors in Young Adult Literature.
1. “You were the sun, and I was crashing into you. I’d wake up every morning and think, ‘This will end in flames’.” Eleanor & Park
2. “If people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.” Looking for Alaska
3. “I stand in the center aisle of the auditorium, a wounded zebra in a National Geographical special.” Speak
4. “…she sometimes makes me think of a planet rocketing along in a parallel universe.” How I Live Now
5. “What a slut time is. She screws everybody.” The Fault in our Stars
6. “My words are unerring tools of destruction, and I’ve come unequipped with the ability to disarm them.” The Raven Boys
7. “Sometimes you catch the wave. Sometimes the wave catches you.” Gone
8. “My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.” The Fault in our Stars
9. “I have to pout and roll my eyes for hours until she finally wears down and crumbles into a thousand grains of beach sand.” Speak
10. “The woods became our saviour.” The Hunger Games